Thursday 7 March 2013

Trying something new.

This week I've been experimenting a bit more with making the most of my Weightwatchers points.

Almonds & almond milk have now become a staple part of my day. Almonds are quite high in Weightwatchers points but I've been reading about the "good" fats in them. There yummy with some fruit & natural yogurt for breakfast.

I've also seen on a few blogs recently about cauliflower "rice". Now Weightwatcher folks among us this sounds fab - 0propoints. So I thought I'd give it a go.

I made a turkey tikka masala.

For the curry:
86g turkey breast
1/3 white onion
4 mushrooms
1/3 red pepper
30g chickpeas
30g cannelloni beans
1/3 tin chopped tomatoes
40g pataks tikka paste

I dry fried all of the ingredients (apart from the paste & tomatoes)in a saucepan. Once the turkey was cooked through I added the paste and tomatoes and allowed to cook through.

For the cauliflower rice:
1/2 cauliflower
Paprika - I added this for flavour but you could have it plain.

Whiz up the cauliflower in a food processor - I also read grating it with a cheese grater gets the same effect.
I sprayed a couple of sprays of frylight an added the cauliflower. And cooked for about 5 minutes.

I served it with a mini naan bread for the full Indian feel. For a total of 10 propoints.

And this was the finished product. Yummy.

I won't lie - its not exactly got the stodginess of rice and the first few mouthfuls were a bit daunting but I got used to it & it's a good substitute to rice, and one that I'll definatly be cooking again.

5 comments:

  1. I love almonds as a snack. I usually have 6 for 2pps or 9 for 3.

    I've been meaning to try cauliflower rice for a while. But like you said its a bit daunting. I like the idea of it and I like cauliflower in other things. I really should get round to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...cauliflower rice sounds amazing...nerver heard of it before..will defo be giving it a go! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fab.
    Keep up the amazing work x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you are making the most of your pro points, almonds are a great source of good fats, as are avocados! Cauliflower rice is great, although I would say it is not exactly like rice, but if you have a good enough curry, you won't care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love almond milk and almonds nomnomnom

    ReplyDelete